03 October 2010

Another Day at the Beach - 9-28-2010

The weather was perfect. It was mid-70's at the beach (and 90+ at home!) -- a perfect day for the beach. Jane, Lillian and I got there around 11 a.m. and soaked up sun, and ocean breezes.

Observe where we are sitting -- pretty far up the beach because the tide was definitely coming in. (Jane took this photo of Lillian and me.)
Jane also took this photo of me wading toward Lillian; this "lake" was caused by waves going high up the beach.
See how far up the water is coming? There is Jane; she stood there for a very long time, taking photo after photo of waves. I learned my lesson about that, trying the same thing -- and fell on my face last March when a wave toppled me over. So I let Jane do the close-ups!
See Jane standing in harm's way? The wave that put me on my face, in that exact spot, was just a wee one; this one is really big by comparison. I would have been swept out to sea, but Jane is more steady on her feet.

Lillian enjoy the sun and sea. We had fun being there, wandering the beach, and soaking it all in.

Lillian and I walked up to the feeder stream, which was covered in algae -- but it makes for a colorful photo.
Can you see why I was glad we didn't have our little ones with us that day? With these big, boomer waves, and water covering half the beach, it would not have been a good day for the tiny tots.
The birds were fun to watch. The waves are very high up the beach, and then the "lake" is even higher!
I took this from where I sat in my chair; you can see how high up the beach that the waves sloshed the water.

See where we ended up --- we had to move up next to the hillside to keep our "powder dry." I was standing at the edge of the wet sand when I took this photo. Oh yes -- shortly after this, I was walking on wet sand -- solid sand, uh-huh -- took a step and sunk into the sand up to my knee! And yes, my camera got wet - and I'm sure a bit of sand got in there because the lens cover will not close completely, and I have to push it open. I guess the next camera will be a water-proof one? Will this keep me from the beach? Nyet!

No comments: