12 February 2011

More November 2011 - Thanksgiving & Funeral

My plans for November had not included a trip to Utah, but my sister-in-law's husband, Bill Christiansen had a tragic accident with his snowmobile, so I spent Thanksgiving week in Utah.

Here is a view of my sister, Karen's, patio with a cool picnic table. Very cool, indeed! Snow cone, anyone?

Here is "mountain girl" Stephanie, my niece, with the Christmas tree she and Brian cut and delivered to Karen and Don for Christmas. Thanksgiving dinner was at a restaurant with Karen, Don, Jeff, Jenna, Price, and Jenna's mom, Betty. Here we are at Betty's home after dinner -- this photo is of Jeff and Price.
If I had a condo, I wouldn't mind one like Betty's. It's very nice and very comfortable. Back row - my nephew Jeff, ol' Gwen, and Betty; on the sofa, Don, my sister Karen, and Jenna. Price took this photo. We enjoyed the 'no fuss, no muss' Thanksgiving day -- it was quite relaxing!
A bonus of the trip to Utah was that Great-Grandma Gwen got to meet Great-Grandson James Milo Glen Andrus, before returning to California. He lives too far away, and getting to hold him is a major undertaking. He's such an adorable baby! Mommy Megan watches as James and I converse. (I suppose James will call me Nana, as does his mom -- somehow, "Great Nana" is a bit over-the-top, don't you think?)
Karen and I ventured to downtown Salt Lake City, and here, in the reflecting pool by the Salt Lake Temple, is a lovely scene of the Holy Family.
Of course, the reason for flying to Utah was to attend the funeral of my brother-in-law, Bill. He was an avid snowmobiler, not to mention water-skier, and horse-back rider, etc. He and Nina built a lovely log home in Heber Valley where they kept horses, and enjoyed country living with the beautiful views, including the back-side view of Mt. Timpanogos. They were temple workers in the Provo Temple for many years, and enjoyed their retirement together in Heber. Bill's accident took him suddenly, as he and Nina enjoyed one of their favorite sports together -- each on snowmobiles.
I was fortunate to obtain flights to and from Utah last minute, so that I could support Nina at this tragic time. As well, Nina requested that I sing, and although I was fighting laryngitis, I was able to find a very simple piece that I could get through, if I didn't overdo practicing. I really wanted to do this for her and the family, so I was glad that it worked out. Karen accompanied me.
Here is a photo of Nina following funeral services, with some of her family.
Following the service and luncheon, Nina and her children went to Manti for the burial. We were all so blessed that the roads were clear and safe when we needed to travel during that week.
I'm here with some of Nina and Glen's first cousins -- Jean Kissell and her husband on my right, and Nolan and Diana Edmunds on my left. I had not seen Jean since we were both mighty young; I had become more recently better acquainted with Nolan and Diana - within about the last 15 years, give or take. It was nice to have a little time with them. My sister, Karen, took this photo for us.

It was an eventful November, altogether.

No comments: