30 June 2011

Lunches & Visits with Friends & Family, 6&7-2011

I'd barely made it to Karen & Don's in SLC before I was off and visiting with wonderful friends and family. Here is a good friend, Lauralee, who with Kent lived in Hayward while he was doing his residency. Their daughter, Suzanne, and my son, Greg, were born very close in time - in 1960. Here are our good friends, Bonnie & Rex, who also lived in Hayward -- and, who also had a daughter, Suzanne, born very close in time to our Greg & Lauralee's Suzanne.


When I met Glen, he was an Inter-Chapter officer in Lambda Delta Sigma, at that time a coed fraternity/sorority which met at the Church's Institute of Religion. That is how this particular U of U group of friends got together, most of whom were also inter-chapter officers. Gloria and I were both in the Chi chapter. Joe & Glo and Glen & Gwen double dated a lot. (Glo & Gwen both wrote 'Dear Johns' to missionaries that spring...) Beginning at bottom left and around the table, Barbara, Joan, Mary, Glo, Joe, Virginia, Berwyn, John, Cleo, Olga (new friend), Gwen, Marjorie, & Stan. (I believe that John, Walker, Glenn, & Glen were also in attendance at this gathering....my opinion!)


Cleo decided that since we were all together, we should celebrate John's 80th birthday - which won't be for a while, but she succeeded in surprising him. Big time.

John & Cleo met Olga when on their mission to Rostov na Donu, Russia. She is doing advanced studies in Utah now, and it was fun to become acquainted. Also, she is a good friend of my Russian family - Vlad, Lena and their kids.

Karen & I were privileged to have lunch with one family of cousins; next trip, we need to do this with more cousins. It was so fun. Left to right, Pat, Gwen, Karen, Beverly and Charlene; missing is DeEtte.

Terry, Phyllis and I have about made a ritual of lunch at Applebee's. Not every year, but as often as we can manage it. We were together in Russia, and such experiences as we had there are the ties that bind! So great to see them.


Glen's sister, Nina, had just returned from Italy on a fun trip and we were lucky to find a time to get together. She was widowed in November, and so we have a lot in common, for sure. Thank goodness for supportive family members and good friends.


Another wonderful friend, formerly from Hayward and now in Orem following Ron's retirement, is JoAnn. Ron passed away one year ago, so again, much in common. What was fun for me was that she could tell me where the little hut is on the top of Mt. Timpanogos; I've wondered all these years, because when I was at the top it was clouded in, and I couldn't get any bearings. Turns out she got up there eight times! My time on the mountain is a long story.......but I have my precious metal 1950 button to prove I was there! (You can't afford to purchase it....)


I had so many great conversations, and of course, I didn't lose an ounce with all these visits. There are more lunches, dinners and visits to come, by the way. I had a really fun vacation. (I had two lunches with Megan and James, as well; one with David and Garrett added, but have no photos of those.)

No comments: