26 July 2009

The USS Hornet, Buzz Aldrin, the Band, Greg, and more

The USS Hornet is permanently docked in Alameda and is a magnificent museum. I've been on other ships, but never an aircraft carrier. It is awesome.

The reason for this excursion was the 40th Anniversary of the first "men on the moon" and their return to earth. Buzz Aldrin, the 2nd man to step on the surface of the moon, was the main attraction. The astronauts were recovered by the USS Hornet, so this setting was perfect. Here is the best way we saw Aldrin -- if you look closely, you can see him "live" way far away, but they graciously provided video, so that those not in the VIP section could actually see as well as hear him.

Speaking of recovering the astronauts - - - although Teri, Natalie (Teri's good friend), and I were not VIPs and could not sit in the front section, the ushers were nice enough to allow us to go close to photograph Greg and and band - the other reason for our being on the Hornet on Saturday. Inbetween numbers (Greg sang two - "Blue Moon" and "Fly Me to the Moon"), a lady of around 50, sitting next to where I was standing asked me if I was part of the Recovery Team. At first I didn't know what she meant, so made some non-commital sounds, and then she pointed at a book about the recovery, and asked me if I knew which of the astronauts was climbing onto the raft. I realized then that she thought I was part of those helping the guys that historic day. I was in Hayward, watching on TV.... never did join the Navy. I found this very humorous, but didn't bother to explain to the lady. Let her tell someone she met one of the recovery team....
Here is a photo of Greg getting ready to play his oboe -- with an oboe reed in his mouth. I don't have a snap shot of him singing because I was doing video. The videos are too long for the blog - it gets unhappy with long ones - but I posted on Facebook, if you happen to have Facebook.

Just to prove I was there, here is a picture of Teri and me, with San Francisco in the background. And a flapping flag bunting. And blowing hairdos.

I took a shot of the flag pole -- oh yes, and of Natalie, Greg, and Teri, too. :o)

One more shot of the USS Hornet -- with the beautiful huge American flag flying from the deck.

It was a lovely Saturday, and a privilege to join the thousands who honored those first "men on the moon" and the ship that recovered them!

No comments: