22 March 2010

A TRIP to the Beach - March 19, 2010

March 19, 2010 was the 7th anniversary of Glen's passing, and I wanted to have a day devoted to remembering and doing those things which we did together as often as we could, specifically spending time on the beach. To begin the day, I took daffodils (purchased) and tea tree sprigs (from the yard) to the cemetery. I just love daffodil season (and the deer don't eat daffodils!).
Then, off I went to the Beach. This is one view of Pomponio Beach, about 11 miles south of Half Moon Bay. Glen and I spent time there together, several times. I took my chair, my smallest cooler, a sack of snacks, a bag with my book & sketch pad, etc., jackets, purse and camera -- a one trip to the beach, in fact. Jiggly legs getting down the little incline, but I made it. See that next outcropping of rock? Remember it because that's where the trouble happened.......

This shows another direction on the beach and you can see how serene (I want to say "see-reene") the beach is. The temperature was around 70 degrees - a perfect beach day. Not many people there, but a few. Mine was the only chair on the beach. (I didn't take a picture of it.)

I wanted to get some close-ups of the waves, and I do like wading in the surf; I had my jeans rolled up - no biggie. Do these particular waves look at all threatening to you? Naw! Nice waves. (Good doggie?) My common sense said to run. My interest in my camera shot kept me rooted (Ha!) to the spot.

Notice the angle of this next photo. This was "on the way down!" That harmless wave from the last photo had a big push behind it, and the water came half-way up my lower legs, which of course, got my jeans wet. I thought it was a big deal! As the wave pulled back, it also took all the sand out from beneath my feet, and I toppled over, flat-out, face-down in the water. Camera in hand, Blue Tooth on my ear, cell phone in my pocket, wallet in my pocket, car keys and remote in my other pocket, glasses with attached dark glasses on my face....full body splash! I could do nothing to keep myself from going down (and my shoulders and upper back are feeling the results from the tension of trying not to fall, as we speak - Ow). See the rock on the right of the photo? That's the outcropping seen in the 2nd photo on this post. No one saw me fall, but walking back to my chair, dripping wet, including my hair, face, glasses, everything except the back of me soaked through -- well, it was embarrassing. I don't know if people noticed, though.

The result is that the cell phone came back to life after a few hours. I think perhaps the Blue Tooth might make it; it has been a little cranky, but so far, so good. My car remote works fine. I didn't lose my glasses or my dark clip-ons. All the emergency pills in my pocket were dissolved, but the dollar bill dried out just fine. However, the camera is toast! So I shall buy a new one. Found out tonight when Greg brought over a card-reader, that my SDHC card (which my computer doesn't seem to like) is fine, and thus I have these photos of my day. I don't know about the battery, which was in use for the first time. Arghh! We'll see when I get my new camera. I know -- I should have had a picture of me dripping wet, but of course, I suddenly had no camera. Oh yes -- it took me two trips to get myself back to the car, with the wind quite out of my sails at that point.
I was not hurt; merely my pride and dignity were pushed out of shape; as well, my bank account won't like the charge for the camera being replaced, but I must have a camera! The very same one! So - my TRIP to the beach is in caps, because it's fitting. My day was only half ruined; the beginning was lovely. I hope Glen enjoyed it. He was probably laughing!

No comments: