05 March 2009

Vladivostok, Russia - New photo of our home there

My dear friend, Vladimir Alexandrovich, was in Vladivostok; look at the picture he sent me today. This was our home for 19 months of our stay in Russia. It was our home, and yet it has changed, as things usually do. The upstairs neighbors put in a little balcony (complete with wrap-around advertising), and downstairs there is a music/video store. There is also new graffiti, but of course, after ten years away, what can I expect?

Ours was the first building with the four windows; the closest window was in our office, the second was our kitchen, and the last two were in our living room. This building is typical of the old pre-Stalin buildings of Russia. It was 1890-something (I have a picture somewhere that shows the date, now covered by the little enclosed balcony), and surely it was very grand in its day. I believe these buildings were in the original, elegant part of the city, overlooking a little inlet of the large bay which had a wonderful beach. We loved the beach there; when we would get discouraged or overwhelmed with our duties, we would take a break and walk down to the bay, and along the water - renewing our courage and clearing our minds.

In some ways, I'd like to see it all again, but I am quite sure this will not happen. Everything changes, anyway.

4 comments:

Dave and Dana said...

The picture of your Russian home brings back fond memories of our visit to you in 1999. Thanks for the memories.

Unknown said...

GWEN,
THANK YOU FOR THIS MOMENT OF NOSTALGIA. HOW CAN TEN YEARS HAVE GONE SO QUICKLY?
OUR LOVE,
ED AND CAROL BROWN

Cleo said...

Your apartment building has a lot more class than ours did in Volgograd. All the buildings in Volgrograd were rebuilt after WWII ended. So they were built fast and cheap. And they look that way.
We also lived close to the water, the Volga River. I enjoyed watching the river traffic, and also the locals going to the river to fish. I would not have eaten anything that was cought in that River, but I know our potable water came from that river, and, our water supplies were quite clean. So I am saying that I wouldn't eat the fish, but I will drink the treated water.... I am not making much sence?!
Is it possible to add a picture here? I guess not..
Cleo

Anonymous said...

Gwen,
People may think that Alexandrovich is my last name :) Well, I guess the importatnt thing that you know my last name. Most of my American friends know me as Vlad.
I'm glad that picture brought some good memory.
I hope to see Vladivostok again. I don't knnow when.

Vlad.