27 March 2009

Spring has Sprung?

Tell those in Colorado, Moscow, and the Northwest that Spring Has Sprung, and you might get a punch on the nose. When I got to Washington, there was snow everywhere, from a big storm a day or so before. It also snowed after I got there. This is where it "never" snows, y'know. How about that global warming?!

This photo cracks me up. When the sun finally came out and began to melt the snow, it was still very cold. The proof is here -- you can see the "shadow line" of the house, which has prevented the snow to melt on the back lawn. See the sun on the fence. Shadowed sides of chimneys and roofs still kept their frost for several days after the snow was melted other places. The rhododendrons held that snow for several days more.

Now - for proof that Spring really has come, this is what I saw when I got home. The tea trees were blooming their hearts out. More daffodils were blooming, and tulips are still blooming. The Breath of Heaven is a riot of color (and the neighbor's trash is still there -- I need a fence!).

Same front yard, the other direction. Couldn't resist sharing the tulips with you.

Some of you have seen pictures of my little planter area by my driveway, as it was begun. It is now almost out of control, but so colorful. (That's the neighbor's car - other side of the house. They have five vehicles - and two drivers - so there is always a car for my photos.) I really love the tea trees and have planted seven of them. They bloom several times a year.

I hope you who live in really weather-strange places in the states, and in Russia or wherever it is still snowing and blowing, have hope for spring. Spring was so precious in Russia; as soon as the pussy willows were sold on the street corners, I began filling our apartment with spring growth. Next were the Lilacs, and the Lily-of-the-Valley, and the Peonies! Spring was so welcome. It will come to all of you, for sure. I'm happy to see it here!

No comments: