03 May 2010

New York #1

My first sight upon emerging from the subway -- I was so thrilled to be in downtown NYC! Picked up my bus tour just to the left around the corner.
Seeing famous or familiar buildings was fun. Here is the "Flatiron" bldg. I took photos of so many buildings, for the architectural interest and also the old age, etc.
My first "hop off" (on a hop-on-hop-off bus tour) was to see the World Trade Center area. There is not much to see because it's all hidden behind these fences. But I wanted to see where it all happened. Our bus tour guide said he was only about a block away, and described some of the chaos. What a terrible time that was!

My next "hop off" was to walk four blocks back to see Wall street and the Trinity Church. Here I am with the famous Wall Street Bull -- I asked some nice fellow to take my picture with it.

My next hop-off was at the U.N. to walk over to Grand Central; I was able to meet my friend, Spencer, and spend a few minutes with him. I saw him again the next day where I was able to meet his wife, Alison. Such a darling couple - they live in New York! I knew Spencer in Vladivostok. I totally forgot to get a photo of the two of them, so if Spencer wants me to post a better photo, he'd best be sending one of him and Alison!!! I was so mad at myself! (This is not a bad photo, but I wanted the two of them!!!)

My last hop-off was by Rockefeller Center; I wanted to see St. Patrick's Cathedral. It is very impressive, and just by Sak's Fifth Avenue (where I visited their ladies' room...hahaha -- I priced one blouse at $450! - and hurried on out of the store).



I found my way back to the Lincoln Center subway station, thanks to kind New Yorkers who told me which subway trains to catch. I had to change levels and get a different train mid-way. It was no problem.

In the evening, Christine, and my (high school) friend, Marilyn, and I went to Carnegie Hall to see Frederica Von Stade give her farewell performance as she retires from the concert stage. It was fabulous!

1 comment:

laurel said...

Great first day! Grand Central is one of my most favorite places in the city.