03 May 2010

New York #4

Sunday was church, and a catch-up on rest day; Christine cooked. It was a gloomy day, so I wasn't enticed outdoors. But Monday, rain or not, Christine and I had tickets for the ferry to Liberty and Ellis Islands. Here is Christine on the ferry, with Lady Liberty in the background. We had light rain -- nothing to make it a miserable experience, at all.
Gwen was here! Being up close to the Statue of Liberty was awesome. We didn't go inside, but just being that close to her was thrilling.

Here is a view of Ellis Island, from the ferry. The buildings are just beautiful. It's a interesting place to visit.

Here are piles of trunks that came with immigrants. I don't believe any of my direct ancestors came through Ellis Island. I think they were already on American soil before this place was in use. Nevertheless, it was interesting to be there.

After the islands tour, Christine and I hopped on the subway, and then walked over to the U.N. It is a very impressive place, for sure. The building is pretty; I took this photo on Thursday, which was a good thing, because we didn't have any blue sky on Monday!

Here we have Christine and portraits of many of the past U.N. presidents.

We caught a taxi back to the apartment so that we could rest a few minutes and get ready for our dinner. We went to the Nougatine Restaurant in the Trump Towers, walking distance from the apartment. Nougatine is a better-priced restaurant of the Jean Georges restaurants - and the same chef oversees everything. The food was delicious, and beautifully presented. Here I am in the entry to the restaurant -- the "swan song" evening of my trip to fabulous New York City.


After Christine left for work the next morning (Tuesday) I walked nine blocks up and nine back to get some famous cookies for Mark, who picked me up at SFO. Then I continued on to Lincoln Center to take more photos, so add about 7 or 8 blocks-worth (counting roaming around the Center)(but these are short blocks) to the 18 I already had walked, and we have some serious walking here before I had to leave for the airport. (Then for serious sitting . . . without tail winds, it was a long way home.)

My quick and densly-packed vacation to NYC was incredible. First time there, and I hope I get to go there again sometime. Christine is planning her wedding in June; imagine taking time out to make sure I was entertained and taken care of. Lucky, lucky me! I see that I have put on Kodak 369 photos. What I've posted on this blog is a teensy look at the fun I had. I will be writing details soon - probably in a week, but this will do for now. Anyway, if anyone wants more details and more photos, let me know.

2 comments:

laurel said...

I'm so impressed by your walking and subway-riding skills! Sounds like a prefect trip.

Can you believe in the 7 years we've lived here, we haven't made it to Statue of Liberty? I went there when I was younger, but not since. One of these days...

Anonymous said...

I'm intriqued with all the luggage at Ellis Island. Why would the immigrants leave those containers behind after arriving?
Is this Christine - the one that lived in your Ward? When did she go to NYC - and what is she doing?
All your pictures are grand - and the comments also! Thanks for posting.
Virginia Braley